John Barnwell, (ca1671- 1724)
(Also known as “Tuscarora Jack”)
Prepared by the Beaufort District Collection of the Beaufort County Library a division of Beaufort County Government, Beaufort, South Carolina.
These resources are available through the Beaufort County Library. Please visit your local Beaufort County Library branch or the Beaufort District Collection to view or borrow these materials. Please note that materials available only through the Beaufort District Collection (BDC) are not available for checkout.
Materials may be found at the following Beaufort County Library locations:
Beaufort Branch Library (BEA)
Bluffton Branch Library (BLU)
Hilton Head Island Branch Library (HHI)
Lobeco Branch Library (LOB)
St. Helena Branch Library (STH)
Web based resources:
Beaufort County Library has posted a web page about John Barnwell at http://www.beaufortcountylibrary.org/htdocs-sirsi/famous.htm#Colonel%20John%20%28%22Tuscarora%20Jack%22%29%20Barnwell.
Biography Resource Center database (DISCUS, password required for access from home)
Come to the Beaufort District Collection to see these items:
- Beaufort County Historical Society Papers, #14 “John Barnwell and the Tuscaroras,” Hardcopy in BDC; also on Microfilm See also #59 “The Yamassee War in the Beaufort Port Royal area, 1601-1715.” (BDC only for hardcopy; Microfilm available at BEA, HHI)
- Beaufort County Historical Society Papers, #23 “Old Families of Beaufort: The Talbirds, The Barnwells, and the Chaplins of St. Helena” (BDC only for hardcopy; Microfilm available at BEA, HHI)
- SC 929.2 BAR The story of an American family by Stephen B. Barnwell, 1969 (BDC)
- SC 929 TRA The Train family : including some account of the Barnwell, Brown, Cuthbert, Fuller, Hand, Leiter, Middleton, Parker, Payson, Savage, and Tomlinson families by Russell E. Train, 2000, pp. 332- 333.
- SC 975.702 CRA The Southern frontier, 1670-1732 by Verner Winslow Crane, 1929 (BDC, HHI)
- Salley, Alexander S. “Barnwell of South Carolina,” South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine 2 (January 1901): 46-88. Also in South Carolina Genealogies : Articles from The South Carolina Historical (and Genealogical) Magazine, vol. 1, 1983, pp. 33 – 78. Ask for assistance.
Check out these materials from the Beaufort County Library:
975.702 SIR Colonial South Carolina: A Political History, 1663-1763 by Marion Eugene Sirmans, 1966 (BDC, BEA, HHI)
975.799 ROW V1 The history of Beaufort County, South Carolina, Volume 1, 1514-1861 by Lawrence Sanders Rowland, Alexander Moore, and George C. Rogers, Jr., 1996 (ALL)