Web based resources:
Beaufort County Library has posted a short entry about Robert Woodward Barnwell in “Famous People of Beaufort County, SC”.
He also appears in the entry about “Members of the U. S. House of Representatives and the U. S. Senate with Connections to Beaufort County, SC (In Order of Date of Birth)” on the Library’s website.
Biography in Context database (DISCUS password required for access from home)
Barnwell was a featured poet in our Connections blog, 28 April 2012.
Location Codes: ALL – Each Branch; BDC – Beaufort District Collection; BEA – Beaufort Branch Library; BLU – Bluffton Branch Library; HHI – Hilton Head Branch Library; LOB – Lobeco Branch Library; STH – St. Helena Branch Library
Come to the Beaufort District Collection to see these items:
- His obituary is on file in the BDC.
- Beaufort County Historical Society Papers, #27 “Beaufort’s Galaxy of Great Men.” (BDC only for hardcopy; Microfilm available at BEA, HHI)
- Beaufort County Historical Society Papers, #23 “Old Families of Beaufort: The Talbirds, The Barnwells, and the Chaplins of St. Helena” (BDC only for hardcopy; Microfilm available at BEA, HHI)
- Barnwell Family [BDC Vertical File]
- Cited in “Newspaper Sketches of Noted South Carolinians of the Past.”
- SC 811.5 BAR A few odes and lyrics by Robert Woodward Barnwell (BDC)
- SC 811.5 BAR Dawn at Daufuskie and other poems by Robert Woodward Barnwell (BDC)
- SC 811 BAR Realities and imaginations … a poem by Robert Woodward Barnwell (BDC)
- SC 929.29 BAR The story of an American family by Stephen B. Barnwell (BDC)
Check out these materials from the Beaufort County Library:
REF 975.73 SOU Entry in South Carolina Encyclopedia edited by Walter Edgar, 2006 (ALL)
975.799 ROW V1 The history of Beaufort County, South Carolina, Volume 1,1514-1861 by Lawrence Sanders Rowland, Alexander Moore, and George C. Rogers, Jr., 1996 (ALL)
973.78 CHE A diary from Dixie: the Civil War’s most celebrated journal, written 1860-1865 by the wife of James Chesnut, Jr., an aide to President Jefferson Davis and a brigadier-general in the Confederate Army by Chesnut, Mary Boykin Miller, 1997 (BEA, BLU, LOB)
973.782 CHE Mary Chesnut’s Civil War by Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut, edited by C. Vann Woodward, 1981 (BDC, BEA, BLU, HHI)
Please note: The image of Robert Woodward Barnwell was captured from the House Divided: A Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College
List prepared by Grace Morris Cordial, MLS, SL, CA, Manager of the Beaufort District Collection, Beaufort County Library (SC). Original published 10 November 2008; Latest update 24 June 2015
For current hours of operation and library addresses be sure to go to the Library system’s webpage.