Life Chronology for John Maurice Trask, Sr., 1912 – 1983 [Information drawn from
Beaufort Gazette, October 11, 1983, pp. 1-A, 14-A]
1912 – Born to George W. Trask and Emma Borneman Trask of Wilmington, NC; extension of G. W. Trask
and Sons (family truck farming) to Beaufort, SC.
1934 – John Trask moves to Beaufort
1947 – 1951 John Trask is on the Beaufort City Council
1955 – 1962 John Trask is on the Beaufort County Council
Business interests included property ownership, truck farming, City Dry Cleaners and Laundry, Piggly Wiggly, Sea Island Motel, WBEU and WQLO radio stations, Rose Supply Corp., Garden City Supply Co., and Kane Island Farms. He served as a Director of the South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. and the Peoples Bank. He had long association with Clemson University, being on the Board of Visitors.
Come to the Beaufort District Collection to see these items:
- Trask Family [BDC Vertical File]
- His father, George W. Trask who died in 1963, has an obituary on file in the BDC.
- His mother, Emma BornemanTrask who died in 1962, has an obituary on file in the BDC.
- SC 929.2 TRA The Trask Family – 1986 by George Graham Trask, 1986.
- SC 929.2 TRA The Carolina Trasks: An Informal History by Frederick Graham Trask, 1981.
Beaufort Gazette [ask for assistance from either the Beaufort Branch Reference Librarians
or the Staff of the BDC]
Use these subject headings from the Martin Newspaper Index to focus your work:
“Agriculture” because his family owned G.W. Trask and Sons
City of Beaufort Minute Books, 1868-1882,1911-1993
Beaufort County Council Minutes, 1888-2001