Prepared by the Beaufort District Collection of the Beaufort County Library a division of Beaufort County Government, Beaufort, South Carolina.
These resources are available through the Beaufort District Collection of the Beaufort County Library. Please visit your local Beaufort County Library branch or the Beaufort District Collection to view or borrow these materials. Please note that materials available only through the Beaufort District Collection (BDC) are not available for checkout. Normal visiting hours are Monday – Friday: 10:00AM – 5:00PM; the BDC is closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Materials may be found at the following Beaufort County Library locations:
Beaufort District Collection (BDC)
Beaufort Branch Library (BEA)
Bluffton Branch Library (BLU)
Hilton Head Island Branch Library (HHI)
Lobeco Branch Library (LOB)
St. Helena Branch Library (STH)
Web based resources:
Short biographical sketch of “James Reeve Stuart” by Bill Shutze is posted at http://www.askart.com/AskART/artists/bulletin.aspx?searchtype=DISCUSS&artist=27043.
“Biography of James Stuart,” is hosted at http://www.askart.com/AskART/artists/biography.aspx?artist=27043.
James Reeve Stuart Papers, 1865-1915 (1 folder). From the Wisconsin Historical Society website. To search on “Stuart” go to http://arcat.library.wisc.edu/.
Thirty two (32) of his portraits are available online from the Wisconsin Historical Society http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/collections/online/Results.cfm?ParentID=349315.
His painting “Ole Bull” is available in digital form at http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/exhibits/framed/olebull.asp.
His painting “Pistols and Teacups” is available in digital form at http://www.davidrumsey.com/amica/amico887232-19229.html.
Information about his Civil War era service with the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery and his burial site can be found at http://www.geocities.com/ad4os/WI_DIV_SCV/Confederate_Rest/Other_CSA_vets.html.
For an antebellum letter dated 23 September 1860 from J. R. Stuart, studying art in Karlsruhe, Germany to his mother, Mary Howe Barnwell Stuart of Port Royal, SC, go to http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/2006/stuartj06.html.
Come to the Beaufort District Collection to see these items:
- Stuart Family [BDC Vertical File]
- SC 929.2 BAR The story of an American family by Stephen B. Barnwell, 1969 (BDC), pp. 201 – 205, 217, 238 – 239, 269. Several portraits that James Reeve Stuart painted are included as illustrations in this book.
- SC 975.799 TRI Roupelmound : an eighteenth and nineteenth century interior St. Helena Parish plantation, Beaufort County, South Carolina by Michael Trinkley,
contains information about his family’s plantation both before and after the Civil War.
- Port Royal Ferry, Battle of, 1862 [BDC Vertical File]
- BDC Print #21 “Port Royal Expedition [Illustration] : The morning detail of the fourth New Hampshire Volunteers going to work on the Hilton Head Fortification,” Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper , Jan. 25, 1862. [includes images of the Battle at Port Royal Ferry]
Check out these materials from the Beaufort County Library:
975.5 LEV The Leverett letters : correspondence of a South Carolina family, 1851-1868 by Frances Wallace Taylor, 2000. (ALL)