Abbie Mandana Holmes Christensen was an abolitionist, folklorist, educator, and suffragist who spurred social change in Beaufort, SC and Brookline, MA. List prepared by Grace Morris Cordial, MLS, SL, CA, Manager of the Beaufort District Collection, Beaufort County Library (SC). Originally published 10 November 2008; Latest update 29 June 2015
Web based resources:
“Christensen Family Papers, 1806-1999” is hosted at the University of South Carolina’s South Caroliniana Library’s website. Students will find the biographical sketch of the Christensen Family helpful.
An article “Abbie Christensen and the Gullah Tales of Port Royal, S. C.” is accessible online at http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/00spr/gullah.html.
Come to the Beaufort District Collection to see these items:
- Christensen Family [BDC Vertical File]
- Her obituary is on file in the Beaufort District Collection.
- SC B CHRISTENSEN Photocopy of the finding aid to the Christensen Family Papers, 1806-1999 .
- SC 973.8 TEL Cultivating a New South : Abbie Holmes Christensen and the Reconstruction of Race and Gender in a Southern Region by Monica Maria Tetzlaff, 1995.
- SC 975.799 MAR Lowcountry Gossip by Chlotilde R. Martin, 1930? Photocopy of newspaper article, 1 sheet
- SC 818 CHR A Stroller in Beaufort Fields and Gardens [pamphlet] by A. M. H. Christensen, 1910.
- SC 398.21 CHR Afro-American Folk Lore by A. M. H. Christensen, 1892.
Check out these materials from the Beaufort County Library:
- “Christensen, Abbie Mandana Holmes (1852-1938)” Entry in South Carolina Encyclopedia (ALL – 975.73 SOU Reference section at the Branch Libraries)
- 973.8 TEL Cultivating a new South: Abbie Holmes Christensen and the Politics of Race and Gender, 1852-1938 by Monica Maria Tetzlaff, 2002. (ALL – Local History section at the Branch Libraries)
Location Codes: ALL – Each Branch; BDC – Beaufort District Collection; BEA – Beaufort Branch Library; BLU – Bluffton Branch Library; HHI – Hilton Head Branch Library; LOB – Lobeco Branch Library; STH – St. Helena Branch Library
For current hours of operation and library addresses be sure to go to the Library system’s webpage.