Abbie Mandana Holmes Christensen was an abolitionist, folklorist, educator, and suffragist who spurred social change in Beaufort, SC and Brookline, MA.
List prepared by Grace Morris Cordial, MLS, SL, CA, Manager of the Beaufort District Collection, Beaufort County Library (SC). All links verified as of latest update 23 February 2017; Originally published 10 November 2008.
Web based resources:
“Christensen Family Papers, 1806-1999” is hosted at the University of South Carolina’s South Caroliniana Library’s website. Students will find the biographical sketch of the Christensen Family helpful.
An article “Abbie Christensen and the Gullah Tales of Port Royal, S. C.” is accessible online at http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/00spr/gullah.html
“Christensen, Abbie Mandana Holmes, January 28, 1852 – September 21, 1938” by Monica Maria Tetzlaff in the South Carolina Digital Encyclopedia www.scencyclopedia.org/sce/entries/christensen-abbie-mandana-holmes
“‘Shanklin School’ filled a void that can’t be measured” by David Lauderdale, Island Packet (Hilton Head Island, SC), August 18, 2013 http://www.islandpacket.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/david-lauderdale/article33527850.html
“Abigail Mandana Holmes Christensen.” Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2017. Web. 23 Feb. 2017 http://www.biographies.net/bio/m/0gg7x4g
Come to the Beaufort District Collection to see these items:
- Christensen Family [BDC Vertical File]
- Schools – Port Royal Agricultural School [BDC Vertical File]
- Her obituary is on file in the Beaufort District Collection.
- SC B CHRISTENSEN Photocopy of the finding aid to the Christensen Family Papers, 1806-1999.
- SC B CHRISTENSEN Bound photocopies of manuscript multi-volume Christensen Diary, 1893 – 1944 by Frederik Holmes Christensen. This diary of businessman son of Abbie Holmes Christensen of Beaufort, S.C. includes family and community matters from 1893-1944.
- SC 973.8 TEL Cultivating a New South : Abbie Holmes Christensen and the Reconstruction of Race and Gender in a Southern Region by Monica Maria Tetzlaff, 1995.
- SC 975.799 MAR Lowcountry Gossip by Chlotilde R. Martin, 1930? Photocopy of newspaper article, 1 sheet
- SC 818 CHR A Stroller in Beaufort Fields and Gardens [pamphlet] by A. M. H. Christensen, 1910.
- SC 398.21 CHR Afro-American Folk Lore by A. M. H. Christensen, 1892.
Check out these materials from the SCLENDS Consortium:
- “Christensen, Abbie Mandana Holmes (1852-1938)” Entry in South Carolina Encyclopedia
- Cultivating a new South: Abbie Holmes Christensen and the Politics of Race and Gender, 1852-1938 by Monica Maria Tetzlaff, 2002.
For current hours of operation and library addresses be sure to go to the Library system’s webpage.