The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of our area.
Rhett, Robert Barnwell, 1800 – 1876
Prepared by the Beaufort District Collection of the Beaufort County Library a division of Beaufort County Government, Beaufort, South Carolina.
These resources are available through the Beaufort District Collection of the Beaufort County Library. Please visit your local Beaufort County Library branch or the Beaufort District Collection to view or borrow these materials. Please note that materials available only through the Beaufort District Collection (BDC) are not available for checkout. Normal visiting hours are Monday – Friday: 10:00AM – 5:00PM; the BDC is closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Materials may be found at the following Beaufort County Library locations:
Beaufort District Collection (BDC)
Beaufort Branch Library (BEA)
Bluffton Branch Library (BLU)
Hilton Head Island Branch Library (HHI)
Lobeco Branch Library (LOB)
St. Helena Branch Library (STH)
Web based resources:
Come to the Beaufort District Collection to see these items:
- Beaufort County Historical Society Papers, #27 “Beaufort’s Galaxy of Great Men.” ” (BDC only for hardcopy; Microfilm available at BEA, HHI)
- Rhett, Robert Barnwell, 1800-1879 [BDC Vertical File]
- Cited in “Newspaper Sketches of Noted South Carolinians of the Past.” Ask for assistance.
- SC B RHETT The Political Life and Services of the Hon. R. Barnwell Rhett, of South Carolina by Daniel Wallace, 1859.
- SC B RHETT Robert Barnwell Rhett: Father of Secession by Laura A. White, 1931.
- SC 973.5 RHE Speech of Mr. Rhett, of South Carolina, on the protective or prohibitory policy [Pamphlet] : delivered in the House of Representatives, December 22, 1841 by Robert Barnwell Rhett, 1841.
- SC 973.5 RHE Speech of the Hon. R.B. Rhett, of South Carolina, [Pamphlet]: on the Oregon territory bill, excluding slavery from that territory – the Missouri Compromise being proposed and rejected. Delivered in the House of Representatives of the U.S., Jan. 14, 1847 by Robert Barnwell Rhett, 1847.
- SC 973.64 RHE Speech of R. Barnwell Rhett, [Pamphlet]: on the resolution submitted by Mr. Foot, of Mississippi, in relation to the compromise measures: delivered in the Senate of the United States, December 15th and 16th, 1851 by Robert Barnwell Rhett, 1851.
- SC 973.64 RHE Speeches of Senator Rhett and Senator Clemens in controversy [Pamphlet] : delivered in the Senate of the United States, on the 27th and 28th of February, 1852 by Robert Barnwell Rhett, 1852.
- SC 975.799 RHE An address from the Hon. R. Barnwell Rhett to the people of Beaufort and Colleton districts, 1841 by Robert Barnwell Rhett.
Check out these materials from the Beaufort County Library:
Entry in South Carolina Encyclopedia (ALL)
B RHETT Rhett: the turbulent life and times of a fire-eater by William C. Davis, 2001 (BDC, BLU, HHI)
973.78 CHE A diary from Dixie: the Civil War’s most celebrated journal, written 1860-1865 by the wife of James Chesnut, Jr., an aide to President Jefferson Davis and a brigadier-general in the Confederate Army by Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut, 1997 (BEA, BLU, LOB)
973.782 CHE Mary Chesnut’s Civil War by Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut, 1981
(BDC, BEA, HHI)
973.7 RHE A fire-eater remembers: the Confederate memoir of Robert Barnwell Rhett by Robert Barnwell Rhett, 2000 (ALL)
975.703 BAR Love of order: South Carolina’s First Secession Crisis by John Barnwell, 1982 (BDC, HHI)