The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of our area.
Here are some suggestions to help you explain why Jean-Pierre Purry deserves to be nominated to the SC Hall of Fame.
Prepared by the Beaufort District Collection of the Beaufort County Library a division of Beaufort County Government, Beaufort, South Carolina.
These resources are available through the Beaufort District Collection of the Beaufort County Library. Please visit your local Beaufort County Library branch or the Beaufort District Collection to view or borrow these materials. Please note that materials available only through the Beaufort District Collection (BDC) are not available for checkout. Normal visiting hours are Monday – Friday: 10:00AM – 5:00PM; the BDC is closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Materials may be found at the following Beaufort County Library locations:
Beaufort District Collection (BDC)
Beaufort Branch Library (BEA)
Bluffton Branch Library (BLU)
Hilton Head Island Branch Library (HHI)
Lobeco Branch Library (LOB)
St. Helena Branch Library (STH)
Web based resources:
- Beaufort County Historical Society Papers, #29 “Purrysburg” contains a letter written by Purry about his settlement in Carolina. (BDC only for hardcopy; Microfilm available at BEA, HHI)
- Purrysburg [BDC Vertical File]
- SC 284.557 TRA NO. 39 “The Swiss background of the Purrysburg settlers,” by F. Harold Fercken; “Purrysburg as it is today,” by Henry L. Beck in Transactions of the Huguenot Society of South Carolina No. 39 (1934) [Fragile, ask for assistance]
- SC 975.7 PUR Lands of true and certain bounty : the geographical theories and colonization strategies of Jean Pierre Purry by Jean Pierre Purry, 2002
- SC 975.702 CRA The Southern frontier, 1670-1732 by Verner Winslow Crane, 1929 (BDC, HHI)
- SC 975.702 MER The expansion of South Carolina, 1729-1765 by Robert L. Meriwether, 1940
- SC 975.702 PUR Memorial [Pamphlet] : presented to His Grace My Lord the Duke of Newcastle, Chamberlain of his Majesty King George, &c., and Secretary of State : upon the present condition of Carolina, and the means of its amelioration by Jean Pierre Purry, 1880
- SC 975.702 SMI VOL. 2 Vol. 2. Cities and towns of early South Carolina The historical writings of Henry A.M. Smith : articles from the South Carolina historical (and genealogical) magazine, 1988 (BDC, HHI)
- SC 975.798 MIG Ethnic diversity on the Southern frontier: a social history of Purrysburgh, South Carolina, 1732-1792 by Arlin Charles Migliazzo, 1998
- SC 975.799 DES A description of the Province of South Carolina [Pamphlet] : drawn up at Charles Town, in September, 1731 by Jean Peter Purry, James Richard, Abraham Meuron and Henry Raymond, 1837
- SC 975.799 MCT Purrysburg by Lucille McTeer, 1951
Check out these materials from the Beaufort County Library:
Entry for “Purrysburg” in South Carolina Encyclopedia (ALL)
975.702 OAT A colonial complex : South Carolina’s frontiers in the era of the Yamasee War, 1680-1730 by Steven J. Oatis, 2004 (BDC, BEA, BLU, HHI, STH)
975.702 SIR Colonial South Carolina: A Political History, 1663-1763 by Marion Eugene Sirmans, 1966 (BDC, BEA, HHI)
975.702 SMI VOL. 2 Vol. 2. Cities and towns of early South Carolina The historical writings of Henry A.M. Smith : articles from the South Carolina historical (and genealogical) magazine, 1988 (BDC, BLU, HHI)
975.798 MIG To make this land our own : community, identity, and cultural adaptation in Purrysburg Township, South Carolina, 1732-1865 by Arlin C. Migliazzo, 2007 (BDC, BEA, BLU, HHI, LOB)
975.798 PER Moving finger of Jasper by Grace Fox Perry, 1962 (BDC, BEA BLU, HHI)
975.799 ROW V1 The history of Beaufort County, South Carolina, Volume 1, 1514-1861 by Lawrence Sanders Rowland, Alexander Moore, and George C. Rogers, Jr. (ALL)