The Beaufort District Collection (BDC) exists to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history, culture, and environment of our part of the South Carolina lowcountry, including the Bluffton area. Resources available in the Beaufort County Library system, a division of Beaufort County Government. Prepared by staff of the Beaufort District Collection.
Latest update 27 October 2011.
History of Bluffton, SC
A selective bibliography prepared by staff of the Beaufort District Collection, Beaufort County Library, a division of Beaufort County Government.
Legend to materials location at bottom.
- Water Quality Concerns in the May River: Analysis of Monitoring Data Collected by the Town of Bluffton and the Palmetto Bluff Development http://www.blufftonian.com/blufftonian/mayriverreport.pdf
- Bluffton Breeze (magazine). An online version of this publication is available from November 2004 – Present at http://blufftonbreeze.com.
- Includes an article or two about the history of the area every month.
- Includes an article or two about the history of the area every month.
- “History of Bluffton” web page hosted by the City of Bluffton is available at http://www.townofbluffton.sc.gov/visiting/Pages/index.aspx.
- “The Devil’s Elbow Barony,” by Henry A. M. Smith, South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, vol. 13, no. 3, July 1912, pp. 119 – 215 is available online at http://www.jstor.org/stable/27575336.
Print copies of the entire run of the South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine are held in the BDC. HHI has the article on microfiche. This article was reprinted in The baronies of South Carolina by Henry A. M. Smith. (BDC). This article is also included in The Historical Writings of Henry A.M. Smith: Articles from the South Carolina Historical (and Genealogical) Magazine under call number 975.702 SMI at BLU and HHI.
- Historical timeline for the Devil’s Elbow Barony is found at http://www.colletonriverclub.com/Community/History/Historical-Timeline.aspx.
- An essay about Rose Hill Mansion by Iva Roberts Welton is found at http://www.rosehillmansion.com/HistoryIndex.html.
- SCIways has a “Bluffton, SC” web page at http://www.sciway.net/city/bluffton.html.
- “History of Bluffton” posted by the Heyward House, Bluffton Historical Preservation Society, Inc. is found at http://www.heywardhouse.org/bluffton/history.
- Old Town Bluffton history is posted at http://bluffton.hiltonheadisland.org/history/.
- The Kirk Family Genealogy is available at http://www.rosehillmansion.com/KirkGenealogy.html.
- History of Colleton River Plantation Club is posted http://www.colletonriverclub.com/Community/History.aspx.
- Another source of “Bluffton History!”is http://www.bluffton.com/bluffton-history/.
- B HOWIE. The Bluffton Charge: One Preacher’s Struggle for Civil Rights by Stephen S. Howie, 2000. (BLU, HHI)
- Describes some events of the Civil Rights movement in Bluffton surrounding the lives of Rev. and Mrs. John Howie.
Visit the BDC to see these materials
- 283.757 CHU. The Church of the Cross: An Episcopal Parish in Bluffton, South Carolina. Unpublished, 2004.
- Provides history of Bluffton from 1854-2004 through the activities and members of The Church of the Cross. Also contains “The First One Hundred Years of History” a sermon presented by Rev. Albert Sidney Thomas at the 100th Anniversary of the church which details the general history of the area known as Bluffton.
- 912.75799 BEA V.1. Bluffton Street Index by Beaufort County GIS Department. Unpublished, 2006.
- Detailed mapping of Bluffton’s streets. Includes divisions for parceled land, but does not provide any land owner information. Contains a street finding guide.
- 975.79 BRE. Summer Migrations and Resorts of South Carolina Low-Country Planters by Lawrence Fay Brewster, 1947.
- Chapter II: “To ‘The Salt’” includes information about the Sea Island Resorts of Beaufort County including Kirk’s Bluff, the earlier name for Bluffton.
SC 975.7 ADA Intensive survey of 1.8 acres, Bluffton, Beaufort County, South Carolina by Natalie Adams, 1995.
SC 975.7 ADA Intensive survey of the Bluffton to Hilton Head Island transmission line, Beaufort County, South Carolina by Natalie Adams, 1994.
SC 975.799 ATZ Little house on the bluff: data recovery excavations at the Horskins Site (38BU1381), Palmetto Bluff, Beaufort County, South Carolina by prepared for Palmetto Bluff, LLC by Leiellen Atz . . . et al., 2005.
SC 975.799 BRI Cultural resources inventory of Belfair’s Buckwalter Tract, Beaufort County, South Carolina prepared for Belfair Plantation, Bluffton, SC by Kara Bridgman, Archaeologist and Bruce Harvey, Historian, under the direction of Eric C. Poplin, Principal Investigator.
SC 975.799 FLE “Meet, O Lord, on the Milk-White Horse”: archaeological data recovery at Rephraim Plantation Sites 38BU1385 and 38BU1803: Palmetto Bluff, Beaufort County South Carolina: USACE P/N 2001-1G-426-C; OCRM Permi prepared for Palmetto Bluff, LLC by Joshua N. Fletcher . . . et al., 2005.
SC 975.799 HUD Late archaic settlement on the May River: data recovery at the Tree Runner Site (38BU1800), Beaufort County, South Carolina prepared for Palmetto Bluff, LLC by Connie M. Huddleston . . . et al., 2005.
SC 975.799 INT Intensive cultural resources survey for the proposed extension to Bluffton Parkway (Phase 5-B), Beaufort County, South Carolina prepared for Florence & Hutcheson, Inc., Columbia, SC, on behalf of Beaufort County, SC by Legacy Research Associates. Draft Report, 2006.
SC 975.799 LAN Cultural resources survey of the Olde Mill Run Tract, Beaufort County, South Carolina prepared for Olde Mill Run LLC by Brent Landsdell, Archaeologist and Jason Ellerbee, Historian under the direction of Eric C. Popin, Principal Investigator. Draft report, 2005.
SC 975.799 POP Montpelier Plantation (38BU1789): Antebellum Life at Palmetto Bluff: Final Report by prepared for Palmetto Bluff, LLC by Eric C. Poplin . . . et al., 2004.
SC 975.799 SCH Phase II Archaeological Testing of Site 38BU1944 in the Managed Forest of Palmetto Bluff: Town of Bluffton, Beaufort County South Carolina: Permit 2004-16-360: Final Report prepared for Crescent Resources, LLC by Ellen Shlasko and Mary C. Socci, 2008.
SC 975.799 SCH Theus Plantation: Phase II Archaeological Testing at sites 38BU1376, 38BU1377, 38BU2017 and 38BU2020: Palmetto Bluff: Town of Bluffton, Beaufort County, South Carolina: Permit 2004-16-360 prepared for Palmetto Bluff Uplands, LLC by Ellen Shlasko and Mary C. Socci, 2007.
SC 975.799 SOC Phase II Archaeological Testing of Long Island: Palmetto Bluff: Town of Bluffton, Beaufort County South Carolina: Final Report prepared for Crescent Resources, LLC by Mary C. Socci and Ellen Shlasko, 2010.
In addition to maintaining an extensive vertical file collection including Bluffton-specific topics of interest, the Beaufort District Collection also maintains the following general files pertaining to Bluffton:
- Bluffton Historical Preservation Society, Inc.
- Bluffton Movement (See Rhett, Robert Barnwell)
- Sun City Hilton Head
- Beaufort County Library – Bluffton Branch
The Beaufort District Collection houses a variety of maps depicting the South Carolina coastline and Bluffton, SC in particular. Search our online catalog for details.
Most images are not cataloged. There is, however, a guide to the postcard and illustrated prints collections within the Research Room. The illustrated prints collection (approximately 150 – 200 images) are listed in the Library system’s online catalog. Please consult with the librarian.
Legend to Materials Locations:
BDC= Beaufort District Collection
BEA= Beaufort Branch Library
BLU= Bluffton Branch Library
HHI= Hilton Head Branch Library
LOB= Lobeco Branch Library
STH= St. Helena Branch Library