A selective list of materials about folklorist, educator, and suffragist Abbie Mandana Holmes Christensen prepared by Grace Morris Cordial, MLS, SL, CA, Beaufort District Collection manager of Beaufort County Library, SC. (Original post: 10 November 2008; Latest revision: 24 February 2014)
Web based resources:
“Christensen Family Papers, 1806-1999” is hosted at the University of South Carolina’s South Caroliniana Library’s website found at http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/mnscrpts/christensen1.html . Students will find the biographical sketch of the Christensen Family helpful. We have a photocopy of the finding aid in the BDC at SC B CHRISTENSEN.
An article “Abbie Christensen and the Gullah Tales of Port Royal, S. C.” is accessible online at http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/00spr/gullah.html.
Come to the Beaufort District Collection to see these items:
- Christensen Family [BDC Vertical File]
- Her obituary is on file in the BDC.
- SC 973.8 TEL Cultivating a New South : Abbie Holmes Christensen and the Reconstruction of Race and Gender in a Southern Region by Monica Maria Tetzlaff, 1995.
- SC 975.799 MAR Lowcountry Gossip by Chlotilde R. Martin, 1930? Photocopy of newspaper article, 1 sheet
- SC 818 CHR A Stroller in Beaufort Fields and Gardens [pamphlet] by A. M. H. Christensen, 1910.
- SC 398.21 CHR Afro-American Folk Lore by A. M. H. Christensen, 1892.
Check out these materials from the Beaufort County Library:
- “Christensen, Abbie Mandana Holmes (1852-1938)” Entry in South Carolina Encyclopedia (ALL – 975.73 SOU Reference section at the Branch Libraries)
- 973.8 TEL Cultivating a new South: Abbie Holmes Christensen and the Politics of Race and Gender, 1852-1938 by Monica Maria Tetzlaff, 2002. (ALL – Local History section at the Branch Libraries)