Recent Articles

Selective Materials on African-Americans and the Civil War

Compiled in honor of Black History Month 2.24.2012; Latest update 1.4.2013

Prepared by Grace Morris Cordial, MLS, SL, Historical Resources Coordinator , Beaufort County Library. Posted: February 15, 2011.
Latest revision: February 24, 2012.

Charlotte Forten, 1837 – 1914

Suggested resources

The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of our area. Charlotte Forten (later Grimke) was a Northern teacher to the former enslaved people of Beaufort District during the Port Royal Experiment.
Latest Revision 9 February 2012

Pirates of the Lowcountry

A Guide to Resources in the Beaufort County Library

The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of our area. The era of the pirates and privateers is a critical part of that history.
Prepared by Grace Morris Cordial, MLS, SL Beaufort District Collection Manager.
Created: 11 September 2008;
Latest update: 23 November 2011

Clara Barton, 1821 – 1912

Suggested resources

The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of our area. This bibliography was prepared by Staff in the Beaufort District Collection, Beaufort County Library. Creation date: 6 November 2008; Latest update 9 November 2011

Battle of Port Royal, 1861

A Selective Guide to Resources in the Beaufort County Library system

Resources available in the Beaufort County Library system, a division of Beaufort County Government of Beaufort, South Carolina. Prepared by Grace Morris Cordial, Beaufort District Collection Manager.
Creation date: 11 September 2008
Latest update: 8 November 2011

History of Bluffton, South Carolina

A Selective Annotated Bibliography (Latest update: 27 October 2011).

The Beaufort District Collection (BDC) exists to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history, culture, and environment of our part of the South Carolina lowcountry, including the Bluffton area. Resources available in the Beaufort County Library system, a division of Beaufort County Government. Prepared by staff of the Beaufort District Collection.
Latest update 27 October 2011.

Beaufort District Collection

A department of the Beaufort County Library, Beaufort County Government

The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of the area of lowcountry South Carolina known as the old historic Beaufort District.

James Edwin McTeer, Jr., 1903 – 1979

Latest Update: 18 August 2011

The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of our area. Legend to materials location are at the end of the bibliography.

“Dr. Buzzard” (1885 – 1947) and Rootwork

Suggested resources; Latest update July 29, 2011

The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of our area. Here are some suggestions to help you learn more about Dr. Buzzard, (aka Stepheney Robinson, Stepany Robinson, Stephney Robinson), a root doctor from St. Helena Island, SC. Latest update: July 26, 2011.

Rachel C. Mather, 1823 – 1903

Suggested resources

The purpose of the Beaufort District Collection is to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history of our area. Here are some suggestions to help you understand the work of educator and missionary Rachel C. Mather. Her Mather School for Girls educated black female students from 1868 until 1968. The Technical College of the Lowcountry has occupied the site since 1968. Latest update: July 26, 2011

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.